Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Teaching at Saikeaw Wittaya

Schedule
Every morning in a Thai school starts with an activity. There is an opening ceremony between 8:00 - 8:30 and all students arriving earlier than help in cleaning the school (sweeping and cleaning the floor, toilets, sport field in front). By 8am they gather in the center to attend the ceremony during which they sing the Thai anthem, say a prayer and listen to the news from school’s principal. Afterwards the lessons start. In my schedule is 19 hours of teaching with 3 teachers (Nok, Lin and Pim). Usually every teacher has 18-20 hours of lessons, so my hours are within the teacher’s average. The remaining time between 8:00-16:00 teachers spend on preparing the class, correcting test/homework or helping with some administration work at the school.
Lessons
The first day at school was very exciting and a bit stressful, because I have never been on the other side before - as a teacher and presenter. I LOVED IT!!! J I prepared a nice presentation to show the students a few interesting facts about Poland. I showed them where it is located, what are the most interesting tourist attractions, how each season looks like and what is our typical food. At the end I talked a bit about my family showing some of their pictures. It was a perfect ice breaker for most of the groups - students were very interested and liked our landscape, opened their eyes widely for the stories about winter in Poland and got hungry looking at the picture of zurek (who can resist it?) ;) This presentation was also a first check of the English level of the group – some students were following most of it and asking simple questions, but others were not able to understand much and I had to ask the teachers to translate. That’s how I realized that most of the children have very basis English level and aren’t used to talk English at all. They are able to introduce themselves and follow the teacher during the class - which means to repeat the text instead of reading loud, to copy the grammar logic in a difference sentence. In general the lessons are taught in Thai language since this is also the way the English teachers were taught they believe that this is the correct way. But in my opinion without understanding the meaning of the sentences used for grammar exercises students can just blindly copy the model rather than understanding the sense behind it. In the reading and vocabulary part of the lesson teacher would read the text in English, explain the meaning of all of it in Thai, explain questions to the text in Thai and the whole group would try to find the word or sentence in English answering the question. Not the best way to improve reading skills and vocabulary…
That was a description of common practice in this country based on what I heard and noticed until now. Of course there are some exceptions and not all teachers are like that. Some of my colleagues put a lot of efforts in making students understand and enjoy English, even if it requires a lot of patience and their time to prepare interesting lesson material. Nok is a great example - I admire her for what she does and enjoy working with her very much. We prepare the material for lessons together and try to make it interesting, useful and rich in information. I can easily say that her effort pays off looking at the level of her students. They are quite confident in reading and are able to understand the grammar rules fast. Nok speaks to them mostly in English, so they are familiar with the language and not afraid when I approach to talk. They are very open and friendly, it’s a pleasure to work with all of them. J Our focus is to improve their communication skills and pronunciation, as I can contribute to that during my stay. Hopefully I’ll also motivate them to study more by showing at least one of the cultures that are so different from theirs and reachable with good education and good language skills. J
Going back to more challenging situations… I joined some of my lessons without preparing upfront. The teacher didn’t require it and there was no time to discuss it before. My task then was to read to children text from the book and ask them to read after me. I quickly realized that this was pointless, as they instead of reading just repeated after me without trying to understand. When I proposed to involve the students more in the lesson and asked them to read one sentence loud for me I learned that only one person in a class was able to read English… For all the rest I had to help them using the practice that they knew well – reading & repeating after the teacher. I was left speechless. They were 17 years old, so had at least a few years of English study before that and still they could not read… What shocked me even more is that the teacher was perfectly aware of that, but didn’t want to waste the time to improve it, as she would be late with her program. She told me – yes, if you want you can teach them how to read – as if it was a 10 minutes task! I heard afterwards that this class is not the best and have difficulties in more subjects … and so they decided that I won’t have more lessons with them, since there might be students that would benefit more from a foreign teacher.
Conditions at school
There are 3 main buildings where classes take place, but in my opinion only one of them offers proper conditions to focus on studying. Two of the buildings are without windows and doors which means that noises or people passing outside easily distract the students. Each class has one room assigned to them and respective teachers come there according to their schedule. Classrooms have very old equipment – broken tables and chairs, traditional board… Some of the rooms have projector and modern boards, so we were to show my presentation about Poland.
The canteen doesn’t look more modern, but it’s clean and has tables and chairs for everyone. It offers a choice of a few dishes, noodles and some desserts. Next to the board where you order food you can find a table with several types of spices – chili, fish sauce, oysters’ sauce, sweet and sour sauce – it’s amazing that no person will pass by without adding some extra flavor to their meal! I call chili a Thai drug, people say that since they tried it they cannot live without it anymore J
Parents’ meeting day
Last day of my first week of teaching was a day of parents’ meeting. There were no lessons during that day even if all children were at school. After the morning ceremony they were left free to take care of themselves for the whole day, something very different what I remember from my school, where we were never left without adult’s supervision... In the meantime parents were gathering in the main hall where some students performed songs for them. I noticed a few of my favourite kids on the stage and I was very happy to see their show. They won a singing competition in the Surin province and one of the girls will now attend the next level - a competition within Isaan region. The atmosphere was very relaxed during this day, I talked a bit to some students and teachers and we left early to travel for the weekend.
Below you can find some pictures from the lessons with level 6 (conversations between each other) and level 1 (crosswords). Last picture come from the parents' meeting day. The girl is singing a song of Adelle :)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment